Saturday, January 17, 2009

thing 23

I am glad I began and finished this program. I had seen the program, but hesitated to do it on my own. I wasn't sure I wanted to be so open. As I went through the program I realized that some of the social aspects of different applications are only as open as you want them to be. Example: Flickr accounts can be kept private and only shared with those people you want to share with.

I went back to the 7 ½ Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners and looked at them in light of this adventure.

Habit 1: Begin with the end in mind
The end was to finish the 23 things and learn something new. With this last blog I have accomplished both.
Habit 2: Accept responsibility for your own learning
I did it only my own, but not alone. I asked for help when needed and received both help and encouragement.
Habit 3: View problems as challenges
Problems - Yes, there were a few. Some had to be solved more than once.
Habit 4: Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner
I always knew I could do it, I was able to do it. I just needed the persistence to keep with it and not forget and let it slide into the background.
Habit 5: Create your own learning toolbox
Not too good on this unless you count my bookmarks.
Habit 6: Use technology to your advantage
I'm learning how to use new applications and things, and also when to use them and when NOT to use them.
Habit 7: Teach/mentor others
This is often the best. Show someone how to use a program or application then watching them go off on their own often in ways you didn't even think about. Especially kids.
Habit 7 ½: Play
The "23 Things" have been part of my "play time" for the months. A time to do and learn something new, different apart from my regular job. I have enjoyed it.

Most of the things I had heard about, several I use.
I wasn't familiar with Image Generators but have use Photoshop for about eight years. Online applications are are good and bad. More accessible than purchased programs, but often blocked by school filters.
RSS - It is great having my favorite blogs delivered to me, especially those that don't post everyday.
IM, Twitter - Know the principles but don't have much opportunity to use them at this time.
LibraryThing, Delicious, etc - use them a little and will surely find ways to use them more
Wiki, blogs, online apps - these open real posibilities and at the same time challenges for me as a LMS. The more we move out onto the web with students the greater our responsibility to educate them in responsible and ethical use.

In the process of doing the "things" I tried to read various blogs and comment on some, although not as many as I read. I noticed that many of the blogs I read did not have many comments. Would there be a way of grouping participants (10 -12) and have them read and comment on each others blogs? The participants could be grouped by geography, type of position (public, paras, students, LMS, etc) or totally random. This would require a greater time commitment for participants.

Because of this program I made the commitment to take Michael's two web page classes in March, rather than just think about them. I am always interesting in learning "something new" but now also making a decision or commitment to learning "something specific."

Would I do it again. Yes, I would.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I really like your idea about grouping participants as a way to encourage commenting and interaction.

Tessa said...

When is the class? I'd like an update and a link to your new webpage!