Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thing #11

As I thought about technology different ideas came to mind. First, technology is not just the computer and electronics but the entire history of man making tools and materials to use and changing the ways things are used. We go back from computers to word processors to typewriters to Gutenberg's movable type.
Second, the electronic tools we use are like other tools. Every tool has uses and misuses. How many mothers have had their spoons used for shovels or the knives for screwdrivers. Each tool has a learning curve before we master its uses; some are easier curves than others. I think that is why I am doing the 23 Things -- to learn how to use some of the tools of the computer. The computer is a tool that encompasses MANY uses and MANY other tools. For example, a student is doing a project and looking for more resources. I suggest the World Book Online or Wilson Web for a periodical resource. The response often is "I've already used the computer and can only have one computer source."
Finally, as technology changes so do our views and actions. My daughter calls from the grocery store to ask what she needs to make _____. I call home to see if we need eggs or milk or whatever. My mother would write to her mother every week, now I call her every week or every day.
I have rambled enough for this blog. I need to get back to reading others comments and adventures with the 23 Things.

No comments: