Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Choosing books for read aloud

Have you seen the World Read Aloud Day website (http://www.litworld.org/wrad/).  I visited there a couple weeks ago and found their Classroom kit. It has a page of 7 Strengths Countdown.  I have been using it to select books for my PK-2 reading time for the last few weeks. I always have students answer a question or make a comment about the book before they go to check out book. (It is also a way to keep from having the whole class hit the shelves at the same time.)

Here are the topics and the books I chose to read.

      Curiosity:
Press Here (Tullet)
Tillie and the wall (Lionni)
Curious George at the airport (Rey) 
How could you not have at least one of these! I first read about Curious George in my second or third grade reader.

Friendship: 
Dear Little fish (Dahan)
Wallace's List (Bottner)
Laura's Star (Baumgart)
Little Gorilla (Bornstein)
I skipped Frog and Toad, but those books are great, too.

Kindness: 
Knuffle Bunny too (Willems)
Rechenka's Eggs (Polacco)
Horton hears a who (Seuss).

I have been trying to read some different books not just my old favorites and this has been a way to branch out.

No comments: